Written by Sarina Czerwinski – Exchange student from Germany
Hi, my name is Sarina Czerwinski and I’m 18 years old. At the moment I’m doing a three weeks internship in England to improve my English skills and see what is the difference between the working environment in Germany and England.
Since I was born, I’ve lived in the small village called Offen, very near Hannover. Although, Offen is a quaint and friendly village most people from my town go to Hannover for an evening out with friends, shopping and having a good time. My countless visits to the city of Hannover means I can tell you about all the beautiful places and fantastic things to see and do when planning your next trip to this adorable city.
Hannover is the capital of the federal state of Lower Saxony in Germany. It’s one of the most amazing cities in the north of Germany! Hannover has over 500.000 residents.
There are a lot of places for you to visit and amazing sights for you to explore if you’re planning a trip to Hannover. I’ve just put a small list of my favourite places to visiting in Hannover, what do you think?
- The first I want to tell you about is the
“Royal Gardens of Herrenhausen”
It is made up of the Great Garden, the Berggarten, the Georgengarten and the Welfengarten. The gardens are a heritage of the Kings of Hanover and they are very important European baroque gardens. Every year on the 31st December there is the international firework competition taking place.
- Also we have the Maschsee. Which is in the south of Hannover. It’s a synthetic injected see that is 1.49 miles long. There is the “Maschseefest” every year in the summer, it’s a big festival with live-music and a lot of international specialities. If you are coming in summer, don’t miss it!
- Then there is a big Zoo in Hannover! It was built in 1865. It houses over 2000 animals in 211 kinds. It’s a lovely place for the family looking for fun.
- Sea Life Hannover is a big sight, too. It’s in the middle of the “Herrenhaeuser Gardens”.
- We have the largest exhibition centre (496.000m2) worldwide in Hannover where fairs take place regularly. The next fair is the “Ligna” from the 11th May 2015 to the 15th May 2015. The fair is about the global trends of forestry and timber industry. The “CeBIT” is the most popular fair, it concern about the new technology trends.
- If you want to go shopping then Hannover is a lovely place for it! Directly between the railways station there is the “Ernst-August-Gallery”. It was opened in 2008. Here you can find over 150 different stores where you can buy clothes, handbags, shoes, souvenirs and so on. Of course there are little restaurants and coffees in it, too. Which invite you to a little break from your shopping-trip. In the City you can find many shops as well. So if you’re going to Hannover you wouldn’t come back empty-handed.
- If you like to party then visit one of the various nightclubs in Hannover. One of my favourite clubs is the Fun Park. It’s a club for young people which likes pop, RnB, hip-hop and so on. But there are many other great clubs where you and your friends can go and have a drink as well.
- Football: Hannover 96. It’s a sports club founded in 1896. The tradition club Hannover 96 is one of the oldest soccer clubs in Germany. In northern Germany it’s a really popular football club.
As you can see, there is something to interest everyone, young or old!