Having just returned from a lovely but rainy weekend in Paris, I have put together some tips to make the best of a wet weekend in the city of lights and romance.
1. Travel light – it’s no fun struggling on the metro with heavy bags – but leave a bit of room for some unexpected shopping.
2. Take a fold up brolly each and Waterproof sensible walking shoes
3. Buy a Carnet of 10 tickets for the Paris Metro on Eurostar on the way over – get a metro map so you can easily work out the line numbers and colours.
4. FAST TRACK entry with the Paris Pass – Avoid the long, very wet queues! (eg, Louvre, Centre Pompidou, Musee d’Orsay, Grevin Wax Museum)
5. Travel and sight-see undercover on the Batobus (Seine River Circuit) or Paris Bus/Big Bus.
6. SHOP! Galeries Lafayette (Metro: Opera) – check online for sales
7. EAT! Test for a good Brasserie with the signature dish of French Onion Soup (Soup a l’Oignon Gratinee)! If the soup is good stay for a meal, if not move on. We checked out a few
€€€ – Brasserie Lipp, Café de Flore , Les Deux Magots (St Germain des Pres)
€€ – Terminus, Brasserie Isle de St Louis
€ – Back streets, off the main boulevards…
Note: If no one is eating around meal times probably best to give it a miss! The locals frequent the best eateries so look for where the Parisians are heading rather than other tourists.
8. EAT! Macaron, eg, Pierre Herme, Aoki Sadaharu, Carrette, Dalloyau, Angelina (near Louvre)
9. Wine tasting classes at Ô Chateau (free with Paris Pass) learn how to decipher the regional wine system of France.
10. If you are wanting to be romantic take an engraved padlock for the Pont de l’Archevêché Bridge.
Don’t let wet weather put you off enjoying the wonderful must-see sights and experiences when you travel! Take a look at these Parisian tours that we have to offer. And you’ll find more on Coachholidays.com
Paris Weekend Shopper Special
1st July 2016 – 4 Days – £212pp
A fantastic four day break to the romantic city of Paris, with many treasures to discover, from the iconic sight of the Eiffel Tower to the charming cafes and bars.
D-Day Battles for France
22nd July 2016 – 4 Days – £630pp
This tour will take you from defeat to victory by tracing the events during one of the most gripping periods of the 20th century. Relive history and follow in the footsteps of brave soldiers on Normandy beaches.
Paris & Versailles Weekend Break
22nd July 2016 – 4 Days – £239pp
Enjoy the spectacular sights and splendours of France’s grand capital on a 3 night weekend break, resting in the comfort of a four-star hotel.
A Taste of Paris
23rd July 2016 – 3 Days – £149pp
Whether you are a first-time visitor or a seasoned veteran you cannot fail to marvel at the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the Louvre, whilst returning visitors will enjoy Paris’ charm, elegance, dining and of course, its shopping.
Parisian Adventures – City of Romance
19th August 2016 – 4 Days – £233pp
A chance to enjoy gastronomic delights in a cosy bistro in the Latin Quarter or, sip a glass of wine in a pavement café on the stylish Champs Elysées, gently cruise down the Seine or window-shop on the elegant boulevards.